Monday 30 January 2012

Research - Previous Student Film Openings (Analysis)


This movie opening starts off with a low angle shot of the little girl skipping. Straight away this creates this thriller horror atmosphere as it gives the little girl more power. From this extreme long shot here we can tell that she is the protagonist. She is given power and respect. Using this shot in my movie opening would be good on the serial killer as it convey the same meaning. I also like the how the little girl is dominant in this. She is in black while the rest of the shot is composed with variations of green/brown.



This low angle panning shot is really nice as it creates an unrealistic effect. Especially with the spooky non-diegetic sound that is used. Additionally the fast motion effect that the editors used makes the audience anticipate for something to happen. This shot is then followed by this extreme close up shot of the little girl in what looks like reality. 



I really like this close up shot, this is because it’s right in the audiences face. It raises question and also seeing as it appeared out of nowhere it make me jump. This is a good factor that needs to be considered when I make my opening. Having a camera shot where it makes the audience jump will be good as it means they’re getting drawn into the action.


One thing I did not like about this student’s work is that they made this medium shot extremely long in length. It lasted about 50 seconds. It’s too long and the tension that was built through the various camera shots before is gone. This is something I will try to not do in my movie opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment